Tuesday, January 11, 2011

End of December brings Mom to Israel!!

Mom ventured to Israel with friend in tow Saturday, December 25. She bravely rented a car, popped their luggage in the trunk and headed towards Jerusalem. With the exit of Shabbat, I took a bus to Be’er Sheva, and then the bus to Jerusalem to meet them.

I finally reached Jerusalem and saw my mom for the first time in about 4 months! I can’t even explain how good it felt to see her. Since it was winter break, and my mom loves Israel and me so much, she decided to visit. A close family friend Marlene joined mom’s trek to Israel. This was Marlene’s first time to Israel!! We had to take her to the hot spots. Jerusalem was first. We immediately went to the Old City and the Kotel. The Old City was beautiful at night, lacking the mad crowds wandering around in the daylight. We spent another 2 days in Jerusalem, wandering around the Old City, visiting old friends of my mother’s, and hitting Jaffa Street and the shuk.
At the Kotel


Our next stop was Ashkelon to visit my adoptive family. We ate a beautiful dinner cooked by my host mom, while my mom and my adoptive mom got to know each other! We stayed in the Holiday Inn on the beach, the hotel I used to run past every time I ran in Ashkelon. I missed running there. In the morning, which was sunny, warm and beautiful, we ate breakfast on the beach and walked the boardwalk.
My amazing adoptive family and friends!

Mom overlooking the Mediterranean in Ashkelon :)
 

Back in the car, we headed on to Eilat! Long drive? YES. But we made pit stops in Yerucham, which was fast but at least my mom got to see where I live! We also stopped in Mitzpe Ramon to take a look at the Crater. It was so gorgeous overlooking the desert for miles. I want to hike there soon. The long stretch to Eilat wasn’t so bad because we were able to watch the sun set over the Negev mountains. Sunsets in the desert never get old to me.
 The Crater





In Eilat, the three of us met up with other OTZMAniks and walked the Promenade, enjoying the touristy nightlife. Our plans for the next day were to travel to Petra Jordan. We eventually get to Petra, after going through Border control and a long, long taxi ride. I have never seen anything like what I saw in Petra. It was amazing how everything was carved into the rock. Our taxi driver kept us entertained through the ride there, he even nicknamed me Nora. Not sure where it came from…And can you believe it rained in Eilat???
A stunning overlook in Jordan
 
Petra, Jordan

Our last major stop was Tel Aviv. We stayed in an apartment for 3 days right on the beach. It was such a perfect location to everything. We walked to the shuk, along the major shopping streets, ate falafel, watched the last sunset of 2010 on the beach. We spent New Years Eve in Tel Aviv and roamed the lively streets. I was lucky to meet up with some friends and we brought in the New Year with my mom! We also ventured to Yafo and walked around. I stumbled upon this stunning painting I fell in love with. I honestly had no idea there was a small artist community in Yafo.
Mom and me New Years eve!

Mom and Marlene in Yafo

Marlene was mesmerized by Israel. She said she feels “at home” here. My mom and I agreed. We were more than familiar with the feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment