Truth: Cats in Israel are like squirrels in the U.S.
They are everywhere. Some are crazy. We have even had some wander into our room when we leave the door open...on the 5th floor.
So, my plans have changed. Instead of residing in Ashqelon for all 10 months, I am moving to a little city in the middle of the Negev desert called Yeruham. Yeruham is still a developing city- since I have never been there, I don't know much about it. I decided to go visit it last weekend to get a glimpse of where I will be living. I leave in 3 weeks and will actually begin teaching English.
The trek to Yeruham involved 2 buses...2 non-direct buses. First I take a bus from Ashqelon to Be'er Sheva- a big city in the Negev Desert. It is where Israelis go to university, most are post-army. Many know it as a college town. The bus to Be'er Sheva takes about an hour and half because the only bus with the direct route comes maybe once a day, and I don't have time to wait around. Once we get to the Be'er Sheva bus station, we wait for the bus that goes to Yeruham. While we are waiting ( I am with Shauna) we convince ourselves we want ice cafe and a chocolate croissant. This chocolate croissant was the best croissant I have EVER had, so far at least. Weird to think I found it at a bus station in the desert. This may have been the best bus station ever- the best chocolate croissant AND so.many.Israeli.soldiers. in transit. It was a good sight to see :)
Once we get to Yeruham, we meet up with the family that offered to host us for Shabbat. They were a beautiful orthodox family of 6; 2 boys and 2 girls all under the age of 5 years old. The house was small and welcoming. The mother, Alona, was in the middle of cooking for the Sabbath. As she cooked and prepared, we watched. Then it was time to pick up the children from school. Alona strapped in her youngest and we walked across the neighborhood to a local Kindergarten, there we picked up her second youngest. The rest of the family- dad and two other children met up with us by the school and we all walked home together. The children immediately began playing and Alona went back to preparing for Shabbat. To give the children something to do, Alona had them help make the Challah. Shauna and I joined in as well. We watched Alona braid the Challah in these small quick braids and we were amazed. That was talent. And the bread turned out to be the best Challah I have ever tasted. It was baked just right.
Shauna and I went for a walk to get of the way for a while and to see the city before everything closed down for Shabbat.
Once we got back it was time to get ready for services. Just as the sun was starting to set, Alona lit the Shabbat candles and brought Shabbat upon herself. From then on out she was not to do any work for the rest of the Sabbath. The family told us we would be attending services that evening at the Yeshiva the husband teaches at. It was a walk across town, and once we arrived- the men of the Yeshiva were on top of a small mountain. It's called davening (to pray) ma'ariv (from nightfall). The men of the Yeshiva were welcoming in the Sabbath, in a way I have never seen before. It was absolutely beautiful: the sun was setting behind them, and looking at them up on the mountain as they became silhouettes singing and praying..I wanted to paint that picture!! Maybe I will?
Since it was at a yeshiva, the crowd there was mainly men, and the women and children hung out in the lobby. The families were so young! One woman we met said you will either see a woman just after birth or pregnant. There was an upstairs area for the women for services but the majority stayed in the lobby socializing while keeping an eye on their children.
Once services were completed, we all walked back to the house for Shabbat dinner. The father of the family recited the prayers and blessings, definitely a traditional family. I was glad to experience it because I never really had anything close to this back home. After we stuffed ourselves with delicious food, we sat and talked with the family and guests for awhile. The kids were falling asleep one by one. Shauna and I were feeling so full that we decided to go on a walk.
The walk was nice. It was so peaceful and quiet in this city compared to Ashqelon. No one was driving, other people were walking around, the sky was black and the stars were out. It was also a bit colder at night, but refreshing. The desert air felt fresh. We really wanted to see the stars but the town was so lit up with street lights it was hard to "find darkness at night." We laughed at that expression.
Throughout the night I kept hearing this toy go off. At first I thought it was coming from the childrens room, but then I realized it was coming from somewhere near the bed I was in. I looked but didn't find anything. I shifted to the other side of the bed so I wouldn't keep setting it off. It was so weird I couldn't find where it was coming from. The next day Alona was in the room and heard it go off. I told her I couldn't find where the noise was coming from and she just laughed. She opened up the bed, and took out the toy. The bed was also a drawer full of toys. Go figure.
Shauna and I slept in a little and caught the end of the morning Shabbat service at a closer synagogue. Since Shauna had been there once before, we mingled with some of the nice people she had met previously. We also met a young girl who lived in Yeruham 2 years ago. She did a similar program with teaching English and was telling us some stories and giving us useful information. Lunch time. More food. So full: big food baby. Took a nap :)
In the evening, they say Shabbat is over once the first 3 stars appear in the sky. Then the family recites the Havdalah which brings an end to Shabbat. They use these beautifully twisted candles and all of the lights are shut off.
So this was my first Shabbat I have ever kept. I turned off my phone, no computer, no shower, no ripping toilet paper, no turning on or off the lights, etc. The whole experience- the town, keeping Shabbat, Orthodox living and Orthodox synagogues- was a nice change of pace. It gave everything a unique perspective. This family was so giving and welcoming. They took us in while they have so much on their hands pertaining to their children and routines and responsibilities. Again, it puts my life into perspective. For so long I have been wanting to reconnect to my religion. It was hard keeping up with it back home. But now with all of these new experiences along with living in Israel, I have a want to stay connected in some way. Maybe living in Yeruham will help. I guess we shall see! Hello to the unknown.
No comments:
Post a Comment