Sunday, September 12, 2010

Too much food.

So I just spent my first Jewish New Year in Israel, and it was amazing. I can't wait for the other holidays. So Rosh Hashanah eve fell on Wednesday evening. My adoptive family picked me up and we went to schul (synagogue), then we traveled to another member of their family's house for a nice dinner. I met a lot of family and it was nice having a big meal (with new family). I just wish I knew more Hebrew at the time so I could have at lest had a decent conversation with them. Nonetheless, they were more than welcoming.

on Thursday, I was invited to come along with 2 other ITC'er's to a lunch at one of their host families. Another big meal. Then we got another tour of the city, which helped a lot. Then we participated in Tashlikh-(means cast away) which takes place on the afternoon of Rosh Hashanah. We walk to the ocean and throw bread into the water, this is symbolic of throwing away our sins from the past year.
Everyone else (with the exception of 3) from OTZMA left Ashkelon and traveled to various cities in Israel to stay with their adoptive families for the holiday. Since there were only of us left in Ashkelon, and a side note that our host families new each other, we all went to a BBQ with them and some neighbors Thursday evening. THE FOOD WAS AMAZING, in all accounts for all meals. Numerous Israeli friends have told me there is a saying that goes something like this: "They tried to kill us, we survived, let's eat." During this holiday, there is so much food: you eat, sleep, repeat.
I lucked out with an awesome host family. There are three sons, 2 of which are in town, so they offered to take us out, which was a lot of fun.

Friday I went to visit Inbal in Ramat Hasharon! Inbal and her sister were nice enough to pick me up, then we went on a small hike with their friend Yam in the middle of Ashkelon and Tel Aviv? It also had some memorials to look at and they were nice enough to fill me in on it all. It was very touching and I am glad they took me to see it! Friday night was dinner at Inbal's dads house, also amazing food. Another BBQ. Then Inbal took me out in Florentine, Tel Aviv. Saturday, after sleeping in, lunch at her mom's house, more amazing food, Cafe Neto, mall, and then I took the train back to Ashkelon.

All in all, Rosh Hashanah holiday was fun and food-filled. I never thought I would say this but I am sick of food.

No comments:

Post a Comment